Tuesday, 2 April
ORIENTATION SESSION FOR NEW IEEE-USA PARTICIPANTS
Our training day has outgrown the IEEE-USA offices, so we will be holding our CVD training on Capitol Hill. Join us to learn how to meet with members of Congress, how to navigate Capitol Hill, and what the current state of play for our issues are. By the time we are done, you'll be fully prepared to discuss policy with anyone in Washington! Lunch provided
Welcome and (quick) introductions
|12:15 PM||CVD OVERVIEW
What will you be doing, and where will you be doing it. We’ll go over your visit schedule, how Capitol Hill is laid out, where to eat, and all the other details you will need to know to navigate Capitol Hill.
|1:00 PM||YOUR VISITS
We’ll teach you how to meet with legislators, what to expect when you get there, and what to do after you leave
Now that you know what to do, what are you going to say? We’ll go over our basic messaging, the current state of the budget, and discuss how to talk about it with your Legislators. We will also touch on a few other policy topics CVD participants have asked about.
|2:30 PM||PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
You know what you are going to do. You know what you are going to say. Now you need to get organized. Meet with your state teams to discuss strategy, plan your meetings, and get ready for Capitol Hill.
|3:30 PM||ADJOURN & MAKE YOUR WAY TO RECEPTION
Guests move on to Exhibits and Reception in the Kennedy Senate Caucus Room (SR 325) of the Russell Senate Office Building.
STEM ON THE HILL & AWARDS RECEPTION
The engineering and science communities will host members of Congress and their staff for a reception in the Russell Caucus Room - which has been hosting major historic events for over 75 years. The George E. Brown Awards will be presented to legislators who have supported both basic research and America's engineers and scientists.
|4:00 PM||Awards Ceremony, Reception & Exhibits (open to public)|
|5:00 PM||Presentation of George E. Brown, Jr. SET Leadership Award to recipients|
Wednesday, 3 April
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Federal Ctr SW
CONGRESSIONAL VISITS ON CAPITOL HILL
IEEE-USA will schedule appointment for you to meet both your Senators and your Representative, or their staff, on Capitol Hill in your legislator's personal offices. You and your team will have a chance to ask your legislators for help protecting basic research and for IEEE-USA's other legislative priorities. Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to have a direct impact on Congress.
Note: Meetings will be scheduled at the convenience of your legislators. Most meetings are completed between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm, but schedules vary. Let IEEE-USA if you have an early flight home, so we can push for early meetings.
Basic Ground Rules for Participants
- First-time CVD participants are encouraged to attend the training/orientation on the first day. This year's training will be on Tuesday, 2 April, 12PM-3:30PM, in Washington, D.C.
- IEEE-USA will schedule ALL 3 April meetings with your Representative, Senators and/or their staff, based on constituency. Please plan to be available for these meetings anytime between 8:00AM - 5:00PM.
- You may schedule (on your own) additional meetings during CVD, however, please coordinate with Bernadette Concepcion (firstname.lastname@example.org) on these meetings.
- Remember that you will be attending all your meetings as part of a team consisting of other IEEE members.
- Time permitting, you/your team members can participate in all the meetings listed on your team's schedule. However, please be mindful and allow the constituent(s) in your team to lead his/her meeting.
- Please DO NOT MISS or ARRIVE LATE for any meeting(s).
- If you need to cancel your CVD registration, please contact Bernadette Concepcion (email@example.com) ASAP (so meetings she made in your behalf are cancelled ahead of time).
- You will meet your team members, work on your “message” to legislators and receive your team's congressional meeting schedule and other handouts at the IEEE-USA training on 2 April.