Timothy Lee is a Boeing Technical Fellow based in Southern California. He leads the development of disruptive microelectronics technologies for advanced communications networks and sensor systems for airborne and space applications. His research interests include 3D Heterogenous Integration (3DHI) technologies for chiplet/wafer stacking of digital/analog/RF silicon/III-V devices for high-performance, and low-power microelectronics for aerospace and defense application. He is principal investigator for the transition of IRAD, CRAD and university Lab to Fab research into technologies for defense systems. During his over 40 years of experience, he has held technical/managerial positions at research facilities, aerospace companies, and semiconductor foundries. He has led development of hardware for satellite communications and has built phased-array antenna electronics for commercial and US government customers. Lee has authored over 30 journal and conference papers. He holds SMEE and SBEE degrees from MIT and a master’s degree in system engineering from University of Southern California.
IEEE ACTIVITIES (S’77-M’79-SM’03-LS’22):
- IEEE-USA Board of Directors, 2021-2022
- IEEE Industry Engagement Committee, 2021-Present
- IEEE-USA CHIPS Industry Roundtable
- IEEE Foundation 50th Anniversary Committee
- IEEE-USA MOVE Program Leadership Team, 2021-Present
- IEEE App Working Group, 2021-Present
- IEEE New initiatives Committee, 2021-2022
- IEEE Humanitarian Committee, Projects, 2018
- IEEE SIGHT Chair, 2017
- IEEE Internet Initiative (3I) Adhoc Committee, of Internet Inclusion Chair, 2015-2017
- IEEE Future Networks Technical Community, Vice-Chair, 2022-Present
- IEEE Future Networks Initiative, Co-Chair, 2017-2022
- TAB Adhoc on Data Product Strategy, 2022-Present
- IEEE Technical Activities Board, 2015
SOCIETIES: (MTT-S, COMSOC, EP-S, AP-S, AESS, SSCS)
- President, 2015
- AdCom, 2006-2017
- Chair: IMSEC, Strategic Planning, Budget, SIGHT, Electronics Communications, FDC-5G
- Journal Reviewer, T-MTT, MWTL
- Technical Committees: Millimeter-wave Circuits, Microwave Packaging, Microwave Aerospace Systems
- Walter N. Cox Award, 2006
- Co-Chair: Heterogenous Integration Roadmap (HIR) TWGs for Aerospace & Defense and 5G, 2017-Present
- Co-Chair: International Network Generations Roadmap (INGR) TWG, 2018-Present
- MGA Operations Committee, 2021
- MGA Strategic Planning Committee, 2019
- Region 6 Director, 2021-2022
- IEEE Region 6 Industrial Engagement Chair, 2023
- IEEE-USA MOVE West Coordinator, 2022-Present
- R6 Secretary and Electronics Communications, 2018
- IEEE R6 Conference Keynote Speaker: Rising Stars and GHTC
- Los Angeles Coastal LA Section
- MTT-S Chapter Chair, 2003-2005
- Student Activities Chair, 2009-2015
- IEEE MILCOM Technical Program Committee, 2023
- IEEE Future Networks World Forum, 2018-Present
- IEEE 2020 International Microwave Symposium General Chair
- IMS Steering Committee and TPC, 2000-Present
- IEEE HIR Symposium, 2017-Present
- Guided IEEE organization through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Collective efforts led to successful MGA Region Realignment proposal.
- Launched Region 6 IEEE MOVE West and DEI initiatives.
- Co-Chaired FDC IEEE Future Networks Technical Initiative (FNI) and transitioned to a Technical Community.
- Co-Chaired Roadmaps for IEEE HIR and FNTC INGR.
- Led IEEE 3I, HAC, SIGHT programs for a sustainable future.